March 2018 | Watchlist Tool Upgrade & FAQ
Thank you for your support and trust in making The Globe Investor Watchlist the place where Canadians go to watch the markets.
Starting March 10, 2018 users will have access to powerful new upgrades, including:
- Real-time data display for all exchanges (TSX, TSX Venture, NYSE, Nasdaq and Amex)
- Pages will adapt regardless if they are viewed on a desktop, tablet or mobile device; and they load much faster from anywhere
The tool remains free for Registered users. In addition, paid subscribers will have exclusive access to the following new features:
- Unlimited custom filters
- Export to excel
- End of day email summary
- Integrated Globe Investor editorial
- Price flags
The changes will take effect seamlessly and there is nothing for you to do. Simply log into your Watchlist and enjoy the benefits of The Globe and Mail’s best-in-class financial tool.
Click to view a Comparison Chart of the features in the old Basic Watchlist vs. the New Watchlist.
The Comparison Chart document is a PDF that you can download and/or print if you wish.
Frequently Asked Questions
My Watchlist looks different. Why?
Effective Saturday March 10, your Globe Investor Watchlist underwent several critical technical upgrades. The tool now:
- Renders properly on regardless if it is viewed on desktop, tablet or mobile device and loads with lightning speed
- Complies with government regulations around accessibility for those readers with disabilities
- Reflects recent design changes to The Globe and Mail website overall
- Can accommodate many technical upgrades listed below
The design changes are meant to adhere to the previous version while accommodating the necessary technical upgrades outlined above. Please be patient as you become accustomed to the new design.
What free upgrades were added?
All registered users can enjoy the following recent enhancements to Globe Investor Watchlist:
- Data is now Real-time for all exchanges (TSX, TSX Venture, NYSE, Nasdaq and Amex)
- CSE and NEO in Real-time (coming soon)
- OTC-BB and OTC-Pinks 10-minute delay
- Commodities 10-minute delay (can also add individual futures contracts)
- Prices update without page refresh
- Filter on Stocks, Funds and Other
What additional upgrades were added for paid subscribers?
Users with a Globe Unlimited subscription, the all-access pass to www.globeandmail.com, can also enjoy these features:
- Export your data in excel
- Fully-integrated Globe Investor editorial
- Custom data filters
- Save Notes
- Set Price Flags
- End-of-day email (coming soon)
- Integration with Advanced Charting (coming soon)
- Portfolio and Alerts integration (coming soon)
What will happen to my data?
If you had previously created Watchlists in the legacy tool, all of them will be ported over into the new tool individually on March 10, 2018. There is nothing for you to do. Simply log in to your registered (or paid) Globe and Mail account and enjoy. From this point on you can add / delete / or modify at will.
I use the free tool – do I have to pay?
The core Globe Investor Watchlist is always free but you must register an account with us. A Globe Unlimited subscription- a digital all-access pass to www.globeandmail.com, does unlock the upgrades listed above.
When is this happening?
This upgrade will occur on Saturday, March 10, 2018.
Have you removed any features?
The ability to add an actual lot position ("My Shares") has been removed. This feature is available in the Globe Investor Portfolio. The intended use-case for a Watchlist is not to track purchases but rather give at-a-glance information about movement in the markets.
For inquiries about this specific issue please email email@example.com with the subject line "My Shares." They can assist and discuss holdings management and data migration.
Why are the numerical values on the page blinking?
Last Price and Change Values ($/%) blink Green when the Price of a contract increases, and Red when it decreases.
I find the blinking numerical values distracting. Can I turn this off?
Unclick the “Data Update” button at the top-left of the page.
Do I need to refresh my browser to see price changes?
If “Data Update” is enabled data will update automatically. If it is turned off, a page refresh is required.
I am missing a Mutual Fund - why?
We have changed data providers and are now using Fundata. The data coverage with our new vendor is considerably greater but it is possible we don't carry your missing fund. Please notify us of this ommission and we will reach out to the fund company to have them added.
I created a Watchlist with no holdings that is now missing.
We have removed all empty Watchlists.
How are my Watchlists ordered in the drop-down menu?
They are listed in chronological order by date of creation.
What is the naming convention for stock symbols in the new tool?
Our new data provider uses the dash ("-") naming convention as opposed to the dot (".").
For example, the symbol HOT-UN-T will have two dashes everywhere it can be found on our website now, as opposed to "HOT.UN-T".
Have you made any adjustments since the launch of the new Watchlist based on user feedback?
Yes, we have. The following changes have been made. We will continue to update this list as we strive to make our Watchlist even better.
- Corrected missing market data updates.
- Dramatically improved the performance of the updates in the browser. We can now handle a Watchlist with all of the S&P 500 on one page.
- Improve the Custom Views feature.
- Implemented a feature wherein it recalls the user's last viewed Watchlist.
What data options have you added for digital subscribers?
We’ve added hundreds of data options exclusive to www.globeandmail.com digital subscribers. You can view your Watchlist data like never before.
Create your own custom view by choosing from the following data points:
- Short Name
- Futures Contract Name
- Percentage Change
- Futures Expiration Date
- Has Options
- Standard Deviation
- Weighted Alpha
- Open Interest
- 52-Week High
- 52-Week Low
- Pivot Point
- 1st Resistance Point
- 2nd Resistance Point
- 1st Support Point
- 2nd Support Point
- Market Capitalization, $K
- Shares Outstanding, K
- Annual Sales, $M
- Annual Net Income, $M
- Last Qtr Sales, $M
- Last Qtr Net Income, $M
- 36-Month Beta
- % of Insider Shareholders
- % of Institutional Shareholders
- 1-Year Return
- 3-Year Return
- 5-Year Return
- 5-Year Revenue Growth
- 5-Year Earnings Growth
- 5-Year Dividend Growth
- PER-SHARE INFORMATION
- Most Recent Earnings
- Last Earnings Date
- Latest Earnings Date
- Earnings Per Share ttm
- EPS Growth vs. Prev Qtr
- EPS Growth vs. Prev Year
- Annual Dividend Rate, $
- Annual Dividend Yield
- Most Recent Dividend
- Last Dividend Date
- Next Ex-Dividends Date
- Dividend Payable Date
- Dividend Payout Ratio
- Most Recent Split Amount
- Split Date
- Price/Earnings ttm
- Price/Earnings forward
- Price/Earnings to Growth
- Return on Equity %
- Return on Assets %
- Profit Margin %
- Price/Cash Flow
- Book Value/Share
- Interest Coverage
- 1-Month Moving Average
- 3-Month Moving Average
- 6-Month Moving Average
- 9-Month Moving Average
- 52-Week Moving Average
- YTD Moving Average
- 5-Day Moving Average
- 20-Day Moving Average
- 50-Day Moving Average
- 100-Day Moving Average
- 200-Day Moving Average
- 1-Month Average Volume
- 3-Month Average Volume
- 6-Month Average Volume
- 9-Month Average Volume
- 52-Week Average Volume
YTD Average Volume
- 5-Day Average Volume
- 20-Day Average Volume
- 50-Day Average Volume
- 100-Day Average Volume
- 200-Day Average Volume
- 9-Day Raw Stochastic
- 14-Day Raw Stochastic
- 20-Day Raw Stochastic
- 50-Day Raw Stochastic
- 100-Day Raw Stochastic
- 9-Day Stochastic %K
- 14-Day Stochastic %K
- 20-Day Stochastic %K
- 50-Day Stochastic %K
- 100-Day Stochastic %K
- 9-Day Stochastic %D
- 14-Day Stochastic %D
- 20-Day Stochastic %D
- 50-Day Stochastic %D
- 100-Day Stochastic %D
AVERAGE TRUE RANGE
- 9-Day Average True Range
- 14-Day Average True Range
- 20-Day Average True Range
- 50-Day Average True Range
- 100-Day Average True Range
- 9-Day Relative Strength
- 14-Day Relative Strength
- 20-Day Relative Strength
- 50-Day Relative Strength
- 100-Day Relative Strength
- 9-Day Percent R
- 14-Day Percent R
- 20-Day Percent R
- 50-Day Percent R
- 100-Day Percent R
- 9-Day Historic Volatility
- 14-Day Historic Volatility
- 20-Day Historic Volatility
- 50-Day Historic Volatility
- 100-Day Historic Volatility
- 9-Day MACD Oscillator
- 14-Day MACD Oscillator
- 20-Day MACD Oscillator
- 50-Day MACD Oscillator
- 100-Day MACD Oscillator
- FUND INFORMATION
- ETF Full Name
- Fund Family
- Asset Class
- Managed Assets
- Net Asset Value
- Management Fee
- 1-Month Change
- 3-Month Change
- 6-Month Change
- 9-Month Change
- 52-Week Change
- 5-Day Change
- 20-Day Change
- 50-Day Change
- 100-Day Change
- 200-Day Change
- 1-Month Percent
- 3-Month Percent
- 6-Month Percent
- 9-Month Percent
- 52-Week Percent
- 5-Day Percent
- 20-Day Percent
- 50-Day Percent
- 100-Day Percent
- 200-Day Percent
HISTORICAL HIGHS AND LOWS
- 5-Day High
- 5-Day High Date
- 5-Day Low
- 5-Day Low Date
- 5-Day Percent
- 5-Day # Highs
- 5-Day % High
- 5-Day # Lows
- 5-Day % Low
- 1-Month High
- 1-Month High Date
- 1-Month Low
- 1-Month Low Date
- 1-Month Percent
- 1-Month # Highs
- 1-Month % High
- 1-Month # Lows
- 1-Month % Low
- 3-Month High
- 3-Month High Date
- 3-Month Low
- 3-Month Low Date
- 3-Month Percent
- 3-Month # Highs
- 3-Month % High
- 3-Month # Lows
- 3-Month % Low
- 6-Month High
- 6-Month High Date
- 6-Month Low
- 6-Month Low Date
- 6-Month Percent
- 6-Month # Highs
- 6-Month % High
- 6-Month # Lows
- 6-Month % Low
- 52-Week High
- 52-Week High Date
- 52-Week Low
- 52-Week Low Date
- 52-Week Percent
- 52-Week # Highs
- 52-Week % High
- 52-Week # Lows
- 52-Week % Low
- YTD High
- YTD High Date
- YTD Low
- YTD Low Date
- YTD Percent
- YTD # Highs
- YTD % High
- YTD # Lows
- YTD % Lows
How can I add indices/indexes, currencies, and commodities? to my Watchlist? What are their symbols?
Popular indexes and their symbols:
- TXCX-I = TSX Composite index
- TXCE-I = TSX Composite Weight Index
- JX-I = TSX Venture Composite Index
- TXSX-I - TSX 60 Index
- SPX-I = S&P 500 Index
- DOWI-I = DOW Industrials
- VIX-I = CBOE Volatility Index
Additional indexes and their symbols:
- $BANK:Nasdaq Bank Index – BANK-I
- $BKX:KBW Bank Index BKX-I
- $DIVQ:Nasdaq Dividend Achievers – DIVQ-I
- $HGX:PHLX Housing Index – HGX-I
- $INDS:Nasdaq Industrial Index - INDS-I
- $INSR:Nasdaq Insurance Index - INSR-I
- $IUXX:Nasdaq 100 Index - IUXX-I
- $IXCO:Nasdaq Computer Index - IXCO-I
- $IXF:Nasdaq Financial 100 Index - IXF-I
- $IXHC:Nasdaq Health Care Index - IXHC-I
- $IXTC:Nasdaq Telecommunications Index – IXTC-I
- $KDX:KBW Finsec Dividend Yield Index – KDX-I
- $KIX:KBW Insurance Index – KIX-I
- $KPX:KBW Property & Casualty Index – KPX-I
- $KRX:KBW Regional Banking Index – KRX-I
- $KSX:KBW Capital Markets Index – KSX-I
- $KYX:KBW Premium Yield Equity REIT Index – KYX-I
- $NAST:Nasdaq Transportation Index – NAST-I
- $NASX:Nasdaq Composite – NASX-I
- $NBI:Nasdaq Biotechnology Index – NBI-I
- $NDXT:Nasdaq 100 Technology Index – NDXT-I
- $NDXX:Nasdaq-100 Ex-Tech Sector Index – NDXX-I
- $NQCE:Nasdaq US Sm Cap Consumer Electronics Index – NQCE-I
- $NQDV:Nasdaq US Distillers & Vintners Index – NQDV-I
- $NQGM:Nasdaq Global Market Composite Index – NQGM-I
- $NQGS:Nasdaq Global Select Market Composite Index – NQGS-I
- $NQMT:Nasdaq US Marine Transportation Index – NQMT-I
- $NQTI:Nasdaq US MD Cap Telecom Index USD – NQTI-I
- $NXTQ:Nasdaq Q-50 Index – NXTQ-I
- $OFIN:Nasdaq Other Finance Index – OFIN-I
- $OSX:PHLX Oil Service – OSX-I
- $SOX:PHLX Semiconductor Index – SOX-I
- $UTY:PHLX Utility Index – UTY-I
- $XAU:PHLX Gold/Silver Index – XAU-I
- $XCMP:Nasdaq Composite [TR]- XCMP-I
- $XDS:PHLX Swiss Franc – XDS-I
- $XNDX:Nasdaq 100 [TR] – XNDX-I
You can find the ones we track here: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/investing/markets/indices/
then click the Canadian or US tab.
Adding currencies to Watchlists:
For currencies the symbols end in –FX and they are normally fairly simple:
- CADEUR-FX = Canadian Dollar/Euro
- CADUSD-FX = Canadian Dollar/US Dollar
They’re all listed here: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/investing/markets/currencies/
Adding Commodities to Watchlists:
All Commodities end in –FT:
- CL-FT = Crude Oil WTI
- GC-FT = Gold
- ZS-FT = Soybeans
- ZC-FT = Corn
You’ll find most of them listed here: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/investing/markets/commodities/
International indexes will be added at a later date. We do not track them at this time.
- Hang Seng Index - (Hong Kong)
- Nikkei 225 (Japan)
- FTSE 100 Index (England)
- DAX (Germany)
- CAC 40 (France)
- SSE Composite Index (China)